Journal cover Journal topic
Ocean Science An interactive open-access journal of the European Geosciences Union
Journal topic

Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 2.289 IF 2.289
  • IF 5-year value: 2.756 IF 5-year 2.756
  • CiteScore value: 2.76 CiteScore 2.76
  • SNIP value: 1.050 SNIP 1.050
  • SJR value: 1.554 SJR 1.554
  • IPP value: 2.65 IPP 2.65
  • h5-index value: 30 h5-index 30
  • Scimago H index value: 41 Scimago H index 41
Volume 14, issue 6 | Copyright
Ocean Sci., 14, 1349-1371, 2018
https://doi.org/10.5194/os-14-1349-2018
© Author(s) 2018. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Research article 02 Nov 2018

Research article | 02 Nov 2018

Heat, salt, and volume transports in the eastern Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean from 2 years of mooring observations

Andrey V. Pnyushkov1, Igor V. Polyakov2, Robert Rember1, Vladimir V. Ivanov4,6, Matthew B. Alkire3, Igor M. Ashik4, Till M. Baumann1, Genrikh V. Alekseev4, and Arild Sundfjord5 Andrey V. Pnyushkov et al.
  • 1International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, USA
  • 2International Arctic Research Center and College of Natural Science and Mathematics, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, USA
  • 3Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
  • 4Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia
  • 5Norwegian Polar Institute, Fram Centre, Tromsø, Norway
  • 6Moscow State University, Geography department, Moscow, Russia

Abstract. This study discusses along-slope volume, heat, and salt transports derived from observations collected in 2013–2015 using a cross-slope array of six moorings ranging from 250 to 3900m in the eastern Eurasian Basin (EB) of the Arctic Ocean. These observations demonstrate that in the upper 780m layer, the along-slope boundary current advected, on average, 5.1±0.1Sv of water, predominantly in the eastward (shallow-to-right) direction. Monthly net volume transports across the Laptev Sea slope vary widely, from  ∼ 0.3±0.8 in April 2014 to  ∼ 9.9±0.8Sv in June 2014; 3.1±0.1Sv (or 60%) of the net transport was associated with warm and salty intermediate-depth Atlantic Water (AW). Calculated heat transport for 2013–2015 (relative to −1.8°C) was 46.0±1.7TW, and net salt transport (relative to zero salinity) was 172±6Mkgs−1. Estimates for AW heat and salt transports were 32.7±1.3TW (71% of net heat transport) and 112±4Mkgs−1 (65% of net salt transport). The variability of currents explains  ∼ 90% of the variability in the heat and salt transports. The remaining  ∼ 10% is controlled by temperature and salinity anomalies together with the temporal variability of the AW layer thickness. The annual mean volume transports decreased by 25% from 5.8±0.2Sv in 2013–2014 to 4.4±0.2Sv in 2014–2015, suggesting that changes in the transports at interannual and longer timescales in the eastern EB may be significant.

Publications Copernicus
Download
Short summary
This study describes along-slope volume, heat, and salt transports derived from observations collected between 2013 and 2015 in the eastern Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean using a cross-slope array of six moorings. Inferred transport estimates may have wide implications and should be considered when assessing high-latitude ocean dynamics.
This study describes along-slope volume, heat, and salt transports derived from observations...
Citation
Share